Thursday, March 30, 2006

Beth Orton is ace

We went to see Beth Orton at the Commodore Ballroom last night. I thought for a while that I had lost the tickets, because it had been a couple of months since we bought them. Never been to the Commodore before, but it is a nice venue - lots of space inside and an interesting layout with balconies and booths, and lots of seating. It felt like a school disco when we arrived - loads of people sitting on chairs and a conspicuously empty dancefloor. It pretty much filled up later though. We were right near the stage throughout and had a great view.

Support was a guy called Willy Mason. He's a young folk singer from Massachusetts, and we have seen him live before as by coincidence he supported KT Tunstall a month or so back. Weird! He was better this time too, not that last time was bad. He had an extra person is his band (a girl playing the fiddle), and this made the song arrangements a little bigger and more complex which made quite a difference (and the sound at the Commodore was better). We also know his stuff a little better now as Steph bought his album. Anyway, he was very good.

Beth Orton finally came on about 10.20pm. Good job too, as Steph and I were falling asleep :) I am not her biggest fan - I guess Steph kind of convinced me to go - but I thought she was great. She does have a beautiful voice, and her live performance was excellent. She played a mixture of old and new stuff, and took requests from the audience. It didn't matter to me as I didn't know any of it anyway, but it was all good. I particularly enjoyed the songs she performed on her own with just an acoustic guitar - spellbinding stuff. And Steph loved her.

No comments: