Sunday, April 15, 2007

Whistler weekend


This was actually two weekends ago now (March 30th - April 1st), but I've been very slow in blogging it.

We booked a room for two nights in Whistler that slept 5 people. Accommodation prices are steep at Whistler that time of year, but I managed to find a pretty good deal. Me and Steph caught the bus there on the Friday evening with our friend Jon, whereas our other friends Lauren and Woody drove down in their car (because they were only staying one day). The room itself was surprisingly nice, and had a lovely (fake) log fire for the evenings.

We really lucked out with the weather on Saturday. The sun shone bright and it felt like summer. The other guys went off skiing and boarding, and I decided to do some snowshoeing so I walked to the nearby Lost Lake Park. The snowshoeing trails were melting fast, so the rental guy suggested I use the cross-country ski trails. After 5 minutes walking though, I realized it was going to be very dull so I went back and swapped my snowshoes for ski poles and decided to hike the snowshoe trails instead. That was a much better idea. The trails were varied and challenging, and there were lots of great views on the way. I really, really enjoyed the day. The other guys were having a lot of fun too, with excellent snow conditions. We all met up at the end of the day for food and then Lauren and Woody left.

On the Sunday, it greyed over and started snowing. Apparently the snow conditions were still good, perhaps even better thanks to the fresh snow. I did a guided snowshoe tour that day. I deliberately went with a different company to Cougar Mountain tours which I walked with last year, but as luck would have it Outdoor Adventures just merged with Cougar Mountain, and I ended up walking largely the same area as before! It was still good fun though, and the area is pretty beautiful so I wasn't too disappointed.

We met up at about 4pm that day and caught the bus back to Vancouver. It was our last ski trip for this season, and it certainly was a great way to end. I took some photos (mostly of my hike on Saturday) which you can find on our Flickr site here.

No comments: