Monday, March 26, 2007

Mini Film Review: 300


Imagine 300 blokes with six-packs and jockstraps beating the crap out of the cast of Lawrence of Arabia, in sloooow motion. There, I just saved you the price of a ticket to see this movie.

I was expecting this film to be crap, but it wasn't. It looks gorgeous which I did expect, but there is also some decent acting in places, and a few times it made me feel the odd emotion or two. That was a pleasant surprise. The fight sequences overall are superb, mainly because they look so sumptuous although the choreography is good too. It's a pretty violent movine, but the blood on display is computer-generated and didn't really bother me - it doesn't seem particularly real. In fact the whole film has the air of a video game about it, but with better graphics. It even has a few boss fights.

It probably dawned on the makers of this film at some point that they were making a bloke movie featuring hundreds of hunky guys wearing next to nothing. I suspect that is the reason why they threw in a few scenes of gratuitous naked female flesh, because I couldn't see any other point to them. But make no mistake, this is a bloke's movie and as such it provided above average entertainment for this bloke for almost 2 hours. And Steph liked it too, but YGOMV (Your Girlfriend's Opinion May Vary).

No comments: